Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Musical Brotherhood


Music filled my childhood. On the old monaural record player, Mom played show tunes and Irish folk music, and Dad played Mr. Aker Bilk and Jerry Murad & the Harmonicats. Those are some of my earliest memories.

When I was 5 or 6, my sister took piano lessons. Somewhere along the line, she had guitar lessons too. Her failed attempts thwarted any chance I had at lessons. But formalized lessons would not  have worked for me either. By age 12, I took an old nylon-string from the attic. About the same time, a family friend bequeathed me a 4-string tenor banjo.

Armed with a Mel Bay tenor banjo chord book and a guitar book, 12 Bob Dylan Hits Playable with Three Magic Chords, my personal musical odyssey began. By 14, I was playing in a jug band at family parties and church coffee houses. By 19, I was playing in pick-up bands. Actually playing is hyperbole. I was awful, yet fearless.

When I reached my 20s, I relinquished any idea of performing live. By then I had the guitar which is still my favorite, a C.F. Martin D-18. During the ensuing 30-plus years I just played with myself (oh, grow up; pun NOT intended) treating the guitar as a hobby.

I moved to Fells Point in 1997, but didn't embrace the music scene until I met my muse. She was the impetus that overcame the inertia and got me performing again. But it was not she alone. The encouragement and support of Fells Point's extraordinary brotherhood of musicians sustained my recital renaissance.

Billy Thomson, Larry Dennis, Rudy Strukoff, Ken Gutberlet, Dave Miller, Joey Fulkerson, Chris McAfee, Johnny Smooth, Ed Schoberl, and so many others have lent both moral and tangible support. They unselfishly provided the hardware I sorely lacked - mics, stands, speakers, PAs, etc. I don't even have to ask. Once a gig is announced, they inquire as to what I need and what they can do. It's truly heartwarming.

But the support doesn't end with the musicians. Donna at Leadbetters, Ana Marie and Tony at Cat's Eye proffer their venues graciously. Their generosity and hard work are indispensable in fostering the neighborhood's music scene. Equally important are the friends who attend the shows. You have no idea how much your presence means to me.

To all of you, I want to offer my deepest and most sincere thanks. Without you I would still be playing with myself. Okay that one was intended because this was getting a little maudlin. As ever - BB

"Like family, we are tied to each other. This is what all good musicians understand." - Billy Joel


No comments:

Post a Comment