Monday, December 30, 2013

For the Sake of Old Times

The title of this post is an idiomatic translation of the last line of the chorus of Robbie Burns' Auld Lange Syne. Tomorrow is the last day of the year according to the Gregorian calendar. My apologies to those readers who adhere to the Julian, Jewish, Aztec or Marie calendars.

The year's end imparts the opportunity to reflect on the past and envisage the future. The Buddhist in me has a problem with this. As Ram Dass opined, "live here now." The past is but a memory and the future but a dream. Be that as it may, our species feels impelled to ponder both past and future at this time of year.

Aside from personal introspection, this season affords us the time to celebrate the good times and commiserate the rough times with friends. I availed myself of such an opportunity last night at the Cat's Eye Pub.

Blue guitar maestro, Jimmy Adler, played at the Cat's Eye for the first time. The event brought out many friends. Being a Sunday night, the crowd was smaller giving space for dancing and jovial camaraderie.

I may not have the chance to see all of you soon, so I take this time to wish you all a very Happy New Year. Thank you all for your support and friendship over the year. My sincere apologies for any transgressions. May the new year find us all happier and wiser. As ever - BB

“Hope
Smiles from the threshold of the year to come,
Whispering 'it will be happier'...” - Alfred Lord Tennyson

Come, gentlemen, I hope we shall drink down all unkindness.
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/w/williamsha394960.html#JUODjPIUZqrFDp2D.99
Come, gentlemen, I hope we shall drink down all unkindness.
Read more at http://quotes.dictionary.com/come_gentlemen_i_hope_we_shall_drink_down#Qfxe7zy6gmKY5OwR.99
"Come, gentlemen, I hope we shall drink down all unkindness." - William Shakespeare, The Merry Wives of Windsor


No comments:

Post a Comment