Thursday, April 2, 2015

With Friends Like You

A couple of Saturdays ago, I perambulated to a few public houses for live music. I am fortunate to live in a neighborhood where several establishments within walking distance offer entertainment. My intention was to enjoy the bands, have a few beers and get home before the bars close at 2am. To quote Robbie Burns,

"The best-laid schemes o'mice an' men
Gang aft agley."

Part of my scheme succeeded. I purchased only beers. However convivial, charitable cherubs must have spread their wings over Fells Point that day. Numerous compadres offered me additional libations. My polite demeanor forbade refusal of their largesse.  I have itemized the day's Homeric intake. 

2 Irish Whiskeys, 6 Natty Bohs, 1 single malt scotch, 1 Jagermeister,  2 Bombs, 1 lemon drop, 1 red-headed slut and a tequila.
 Please note that this did occur over a 11 hour period. It started at Leadbetters around 3pm for a Mike Darby/Hootenanny performance. Then to Cat's Eye Pub for the blues of Nothin' But Trouble followed by the eclectic sounds of Eddy & the Haskyls. Despite my intention, the evening ended with the brightening of the house lights and announcement of last call. 

One would think that my expansive experience exploring the domain of bars, taverns and pubs would have taught me better. One would be mistaken.

To my amazement, the following morning did not bring a gargantuan hangover. Angelic forces must truly been at work that weekend. A degree of fogginess muddled my consciousness.  My mouth was a paradoxical blend of arid dryness and pasty sludge. Ceteris paribus, my condition was remarkable.

The benefit of an exploit like that should be a lesson learned. Armed with the knowledge of such a foolish occurrence, my behavior should improve. I would not book that bet. As ever - BB 
"I learned a long time ago that reality was much weirder than anyone's imagination." - Hunter S. Thompson





No comments:

Post a Comment