Friday, January 7, 2011

Baptism in the Blues

The title of this blog comes from my friend Rudedog's album, Baptism in Blue. Like Rudy, the British bands of the 60s introduced me to the Blues.  I was 10 when the British invasion began. My sister was a Beatles fan. That made the Fab Four personae non grata to this younger brother. I gravitated to the Rollings Stones, the Animals, and the Yardbirds.

Tempus fugit and by 1967 the hippie scene burgeoned across the river in Philadelphia. Most weekends,  I'd take the bus (by 1969 the Speedline) into Philly. Hanging out in Rittenhouse Square watching hippies throw Frisbees and play guitar, I tried to look cool. Not easy since Bishop Eustace Prep forbade your hair being over the collar or touching your ears.

Up on Samson Street was a head shop, my first experience with incense outside of church, black lights and other things I refuse to mention on the grounds of self incrimination. Between Chestnut St. and Rittenhouse Square, either on 17th or 18th, was a little record store. I don't remember the exact address or its name, but I'll never forget Amos.

As an inveterate liner note reader,  certain names kept popping up. One was Ellas McDaniel. Walking around the store, looking for his records, I found nothing. Amos watched me the entire time. Finally he asked what I wanted. Upon mentioning McDaniel, his face lit up with a huge smile. He laughed and said, "White boy, don't you know Bo Diddley?"

Thus began my tutelage under Amos. I'd save up what money I had and even began hitchhiking to Philly saving the $1.50 round trip fare. It started with Bo Diddley, then Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and John Lee Hooker. After Chicago, came Memphis and then the Mississippi Delta. Amos talked about different styles and influences. All of it soaked up by this young, white sponge.

Since then, my tastes have become eclectic from Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys to Sun Ra, from Louis Prima to Captain Beefheart. But thanks to Amos, I was baptised in the Blues. Res Ipsa Loquitor - as ever BB

"If you can't play the blues...you might as well hang it up." - Dexter Gordon



No comments:

Post a Comment