Thursday, December 13, 2012

Why?

Actually, today's subject is Y, as in chromosome.

I put up my 1964 aluminum Christmas tree last night. I also have a vintage color wheel bathing the strange silver "branches" in green, yellow, red and blue. From GEM Lighting in Brooklyn, NY, it predates the tree. When I bought the tree at a flea market, it had the original box with the date. Alas, the box has long since deteriorated. I still have the original box for the color wheel, and the address does not have the zip code. Ergo, it was made prior to 1963.

Digression? But of course!
While decorating I had the TV on a program about tracing man's DNA. My divided attention caught little of the program, but I did absorb one fact. Scientists investigating our DNA trail focus only on males. I, myself, prefer focusing on females, but enough digression for one blog.

Humans have two chromosomes; receiving one from each parent. (The following explanation is rudimentary. Apologies for these generalities to the several scientific minds on my blog list) The X chromosome mutates during gestation giving each child his/her unique characteristics. However, the Y chromosome remains unchanged. This perpetual nature allows scientists to chart our heredity. So, that little bugger inside me has not changed over the many male Billings' generations.

I find that fascinating. Many times since my father's death, relatives and family friends have noticed a mannerism, or style of speech that reminded them of my Dad. As I get older, I notice more and more similarities between him and me. Now it all makes sense.

Even more interesting are the differences between my father, my self and my three brothers. We all share the same Y, but we each have unique and, in some ways, dissimilar personalities. Curious how that mutated X we received gave us our remarkable idiosyncrasies.

In the late 60's aggressive researchers vying for government grants, linked LSD use to chromosomal damage. If not for the fact that these studies were proven specious, I could blame that insidious chemical for my strangeness. However, I must chalk up my off-beat, eclectic and, from what some say, annoying personality to that strange XY chromosomal stew.

But what of the nurture vs. nature factor? Sirrah, that for another time! As ever - BB

"Men are all alike-except the one you've met who's different." - Mae West





No comments:

Post a Comment